Monday, May 16, 2011

The Beginning

Well, I am starting something that I have never thought I would do, my very first blog.  I figured that maybe this would make my summer go by semi-faster so that August will come fast and I can get back to school.  Thus, I will write every single detail about every single day this summer!  I know everyone should be excited, because I lead a pretty interesting life. Haha.  


Anywho, here goes nothing...  


I am back home now, in the wonderful Wausau, Wisconsin, and I can honestly say that I really miss De Pere already.  I never thought I would ever be saying this, especially since I couldn't wait to be home at the beginning of my college experience.  Now I will just be waiting for summer to be over, so school can come and I can savor every moment I will have before I graduate (which, by the way, I am really freaking out about.  But that will be for another blog).  It's rare to hear someone say that they miss school, and maybe I am a bit psychotic for saying this, but I don't care.  I love school and miss it, and it has only been one day since I left.  Granted, I do miss De Pere for other reasons too, so it's not just specifically school.  But, anyway, I mostly miss the social life and my friends, not so much the schoolwork, though I will admit I did enjoy a large portion of my classes this year (oh the joys of being an Art major).  But the social aspect, and my friends, oh man, that makes the whole college experience 110% better.  


I have some of the most amazing friends a person could ever have, which made this past week the most difficult, having to leave them behind for a bit.  Sure, I will see them again in 3 months, but it is not the same when you see them every single day.  There were so many great memories made this year, that it would probably take me at least 5 different posts to explain in detail every single thing that has happened or has been said.  So I will save everyone the trouble of reading all the ridiculous things that went on and just wait a while before I decide to blog all of that.  What can I say?  I would not have been able to get through this year without them!  I lived with 5 wonderful girls this year and am very grateful for having had the opportunity to live with them!  I love them all to death.  I know love is a big word and should not be thrown around, but it's like we are a family, getting to know them, I can honestly say I love them, so much.  They have helped me to be the person I am right now.  And for that, I am greatly appreciative.  


I do have to say this year, compared to my past 2 years of college, has shaped me the most.  I have noticed a significant change in myself, for the better, this past semester.  Not like there was anything wrong with me before this year, but I have learned so much and have experienced so much this year, and this semester especially, that I have discovered so much about myself that I did not really fully know.  I have discovered that I am definitely not as shy as I used to be.  There are many people who will agree with me when I say I used to be extremely shy.  I had a difficult time meeting new people, and it would take me a long while to open up to those I did not know that well.  Ha, well, now that is different.  Surprisingly, I find it so much easier to just be myself and not be afraid of what others may think.  Goodbye shyness, I will not miss you! :)


I have also realized this year that it is pointless to dwell on the past or live life with regrets.  You should live your life the way you want to, live it to the fullest because you never know exactly when you will leave.  Your life could be shorter than you think, or you could live to be 90 years old.  Either way,  I don't want to live my life thinking that I could have done something differently or could have done something that I was afraid to do.  Pointless, right?  I thought so.  I'm taking things one day at a time; enjoying every single hour of every single day, because I know I'll never get the hours back that I wasted.  Life can be a challenge, it is full of challenges actually, but that is what shapes us, it has shaped me that's for sure.  Don't take life for granted or be critical or cynical or so down on yourself.  Appreciate the life God has given you; He has specifically made you the way you are for a reason, why would you ever want to insult that?  I am extremely proud to be who I am!  Sure I may have some insecurities, but I would never want to change anything.  I was given this amazing life for a reason, and I will never take it for granted.  I will appreciate my opportunities, my family, my friends and anything else that may come my way in the years to come. :)


Let's see, what else can I blabber on about on here? AHA! My family!  What can I say about my crazy family... Well, I'll say this, I love them and am glad that I was born into this family!  I have one sister who means the world to me.  She is 4 1/2 years older than me and I have looked up to her most of my life, still do, because of course she's my big sister and us little sisters are always supposed to look up to them. Ok, so maybe I don't just look up to her because I am supposed to, I look up to her because she is a wonderful and inspiring individual, and I am proud to call her my sister.  Like typical sisters, we had our differences when we were younger and would bicker a bit, but as we got older we grew extremely close together.  I love getting together with Jessi; go shopping, talk about boys, complain about people who drive us nuts or just going out and having a good time.  She's like a sister to me... Oh wait, she is :)  I don't see her as much as I would like, since time doesn't allow, and now distance doesn't allow the it either. But I love every moment I spend with her and the fact that we can pretty much talk about anything and everything.  She's the greatest sibling a girl could ever ask for!  


My parents, well this should be fun.  I love them both, obviously, since I said that above.  My father is a major role model in my life.  He has always been there for me, cared about me, helped with everything in my life.  One of the greatest memories I have with him was when I was younger.  He and I would always, every summer, take a bike ride all around Wausau.  We would start out riding and enjoying ourselves, then ride down to the train depot and walk along the tracks and see who could stay on the longest.  Before we would leave we would put coins on the track and then ride on to our next little destination, hoping a train would come and smush them.  We would then ride to the Kwik Trip on Grand Ave., get milk (I usually got strawberry) and microwavable sandwiches, leave and cross the street to the cemetery and sit and eat on a bench underneath the flag.  After that, if it was a good day, we'd get some Dairy Queen, then ride back to the train tracks to find that our coins had been smushed :)  Oh, I really do miss those days.  As I got into high school more, especially college, I have not spent this quality time with my dad like I used to when I was younger.  See, it's times like those that shouldn't be taken for granted.  I love my father and wish I could spend even more time with him now that I'm older... I am looking forward to going fishing this summer. That is always a fun bonding time.  But anyway, he is always there for his little girl, and I love him so much. He means the world to me!  I am proud to have him as a father.


Now, my mother.  She is the biggest role model in my life!  We are extremely close and have the greatest mother-daughter relationship.  If I have any problems or am upset about anything, she's the one I go to because I know she will make me feel better and calm me down.  I can tell her anything and everything, which I do, there is nothing about me or what I do that she doesn't know.  We text constantly, which everyone pretty much knows already, :P but I don't mind.  We shop and do so much together, I always look forward to when she comes to visit me or I go home for a weekend because I know it will be relaxing and fun.  I know I keep saying that I don't want to be home and want to go back to school, but if I wasn't home I would miss her very much.  There are times when I don't come home for a month, and I do really miss it and the quality mother-daughter time we spend together.  She is the most amazing woman anyone could meet, and I love her more than anything.  


 Now, on to my biggest passion in the WHOLE ENTIRE world!!!  I LOVE ART! And anything that has to do with art!  Wow.  I am a graphic designer. I love every minute of it.  Even though I love graphic design, I love photography even more!  I always have a camera with me.  People say I take too many pictures, but I don't care!  It is who I am and what I do.  I love being able to express myself through my art.  I don't know what my life would be like without it.  Not to brag or anything, but I am pretty good at what I do!  I have 2 on campus graphic design internships, gotten my work into juried student art shows and even won an honorable mention on a photograph of mine, which made my whole semester better :)  I also won an art scholarship this year.  All the art faculty get together and talk about who deserves to get the scholarship... and they chose me!  Out of every art student at that school, they chose me!  It made me feel so much more confident about my work.  When it comes to my art, I am extremely picky and judgmental.  It is rare that I actually like a piece I do, because every time I look at my work I think of something I could have done to possibly make it better.  Though there was one series of photographs that I did last semester that I am extremely proud of and can say is some of the best work I've done so far; so that is an improvement I guess.  But, this is what I want to do with my life.  People always ask me what my dream job would be... Well, there are 2 jobs that I would love to have.  My main goal, is that eventually I own my own photography studio and do portrait photography, weddings, senior pictures, etc.  I love to do that!  I took photos at my sisters wedding and had a blast, and after that I was hired to shoot a wedding this October and I possibly have another wedding opportunity down the road.  I also just did engagement pictures for my friends (which was so much fun!!!).  I love photography and am excited to be doing wedding and engagement pictures; so I hope that eventually I can fully make that into my career.


My second dream job would be working for Victoria's Secret designing all the packaging for the products in the store.  I work at Victoria's Secret now as a sales associate. I have been for the past 3 years and love every minute of it!  It is like a whole second family there.  I enjoy everyone I work with, it just makes the whole experience so much better!  I love that job and always look forward to going into work.  Usually I get crude comments from guys because I work at a lingerie store (which is slightly ridiculous... guys, please don't make perverted comments to me about working there, it gets old).  To me, it is just a job.  I help people find what they need, make great friends in the process and just be my perky self; can't complain about that.  But that is off the topic a little.... Dream job, doing graphics for them.  I look at the products every time I work, thinking it would be so cool to create for this fun and amazing store.  Granted, this will probably never happen, but hey, you can do anything you set your mind to... So maybe eventually I will be doing this :)


I have a tattoo on my neck that says, "If you follow your heart, life is like a work of art."  I love this quote and it is very meaningful to me.  Like any work of art that I create, it is unique to me.  I make my art the way I want it to be.  I don't copy what someone else does, I create my art the way that I want.  Just like my life... If I follow my heart, and do what I want to do, it will be a masterpiece, my own work of art :).  


Oh, and another thing!  I play the trumpet!  Yes, I am a girl, and I do play the trumpet, some people find that slightly hard to believe because apparently only guys are good trumpet players. PSH!  I am great on the trumpet!  Ok, maybe not the greatest, but I am very good and I love playing it!  If I have a bad day or am upset about it, I just put it all through that instrument, and I somehow feel better about everything.  It is a stress reliever for me.  I have been playing the trumpet for 10 years now... I have been in band since 5th grade, and in high school I was in jazz band along with concert band.  Now, in college, I audition for Wind Ensemble every year (which is awesome, we went to Austria and the Czech Republic last summer and toured and played 4 concerts), and I also am in the jazz band, which is just way too much fun.  I got a scholarship my freshman year in college to play in the bands, which was pretty sweet.  So yea, I love playing my trumpet,... Some would call me a band geek ;), but you know, I am fine with that. I will accept the fact that I am a possible band geek because I love playing my instrument.  


Hey, remember when I started this whole thing saying I was going to explain every single detail about every single day this summer?  I think I have failed at that thus far, so I will start that right now! (lucky you, I know) ;).  Anywho, so I woke up at like, 10:30, which felt amazing since I have been having a lack of sleep and naps lately.  I got out of bed and groaned a little when I got up, since I am 21 and becoming closer to being an old woman, I have a lot of aches and pains!.... Ok, so maybe I won't be that detailed with my daily stories, because really, who would want to read all of those non-interesting details of my day on here?  Even I wouldn't want to read it!  But, anyway, I feel like summer so far has just gotten off to a boring start.  I sat around until 1:00, editing pictures and then found out I did not have to work (which I was kind of looking forward to working).  So what did I do then? Sat around again, still editing pictures, until I went to Walmart with my mother and got some dinner and am now right back on here typing this blog while watching a stupid commercial about a garage door opener.  Not too exciting, but I didn't really expect an eventful day.  The rest of my night looks like finishing up a little unpacking (which if anyone knows me, will take forever because I have SO much stuff!!!), so we'll see how that goes before I have to go to bed, wake up and go to work.  


So, thank you for tolerating my very first ever blog and the fact that I explained so much of my life on this thing.   Quite amusing, I know. :)


<3 

No comments:

Post a Comment